Need a vegetarian dish that is impressive enough for entertaining, but simple to prepare? Just a handful ingredients are needed to create a cozy, delicious meatless monday meal. Pair these easy baked eggs with whole grain crusty bread for scooping up all of the delicious sauce and eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic (~1/2 Tbsp), minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flake
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease two oven-safe baking dishes.
- To a saucepan over medium-low heat, add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Then add onions, 1/4 tsp sea salt and cook for 7-8 minutes or until translucent. Turn down heat if getting too brown. Add garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add paprika and red pepper flake and stir. Then add tomatoes and another 1/4 tsp sea salt and stir. Simmer for 10-12 minutes, reducing heat if it bubbles too vigorously.
- Taste sauce and adjust seasonings accordingly. Divide the sauce evenly between two shallow baking dishes (Use oven-safe bowls) and top with 1-2 eggs each. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until desired doneness. The whites should be cooked through but the yolk still soft.
- Top with fresh herbs (and cheese if not dairy-free) and serve with toast. Store any leftover sauce for future use.
Serving size: 1 bowl Calories: 163 Fat: 4.5g Saturated fat: 1.4g Carbohydrates: 20g Sugar: 13g Sodium: 930mg Fiber: 7.6g Protein: 11g
Recipe curated from Minimalist Baker.
To work with a nutrition coach who will share recipes and meal planning tips with you, click here and get your first week free!